Featured Post

Book of the Month: Schola Caritatis: Learning the Rhythms of God's Amazing Love

  Starting a new feature for the next several months called Book of the Month.  I will present one of my books and tell you a little of the ...

Friday, April 27, 2012

receiving me


At every moment you choose yourself.  But do you choose your self?  Body and soul contain a thousand possibilities out of which you can build many I 's.  But in only one of them is there a congruence of the elector and the elected.  Only one—which you will never find until you have excluded all those superficial and fleeting possibilities of being and doing with which you toy, out of curiosity or wonder or greed, and which hinder you from casting anchor in the experience of mystery of life, and the consciousness of the talent entrusted to you which is your I.  (Markings by Dag Hammarskjold)

The other day I made a bit of a realization.  I am still trying, in futility I might add, to create my self (my true self) each day rather than simply receive my self each day.  Self that is created, by anything or anyone other the God that breathed me into being, can only be false, because it is just a cheap imitation, adaptation, or distortion of the me I was created to be by the one who dreamt me into being before the foundations of the earth.  My true identity is bestowed, never achieved.  So my challenge, for this day and every day after that, is to stop the ongoing pattern of trying, in desperation, to create a self that has in fact already been fearfully and wonderfully made; and to simply receive my self (true self), in peace and in freedom, from the God who made me uniquely and loves me dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment